The F256 Jr is a 65C02 based system which includes the following features:
- 512K of Shared System & Video RAM (256k on the Rev A)
- 256k of flash
- 256k of cartridge ram/rom
- TinyVICKY Graphic Chip (CFP9599)
- 1x Simple 3-wire UART (RS-232 Port, Feather ESP8266 wifi, or Feather MIDI)
- 2x Atari Style Joystick Ports, 1x DB9 to interface to NES/SNES Adapter (For Rev B Only)
- 1x IEC Port to interface to Commodore Drives
- 2x Internal PSG Sound Chip
- 2x External SID Sockets
Aside from its sound chip, it's very similar to the F256K.
The PS2 mouse port may be wired to the keyboard port and then split out using a laptop PS2 splitter.
If your Jr. is booting to a blank screen with a dark purple border, be sure that the RAM/FLASH jumper is set to FLASH.
There are three kernels for the Jr.
- The TinyCore MicroKernel (ships with the unit)
- OpenKERNAL (for those wishing to run software written for the CBM KERNAL)
- FoenixKERNAL, an open source, CBM-style layer also compatible with Commodore 64 KERNAL
The F256 Jr. ships with SuperBASIC: https://github.com/paulscottrobson/superbasic
- There is a simple example DOS shell for the MicroKernel in the kernel/dos project: https://github.com/ghackwrench/F256_Jr_Kernel_DOS
- It may also be found in the SuperBASIC project under source/releases: https://github.com/paulscottrobson/superbasic
- SuperBASIC's install scripts install it by default. To access it, type "DOS" from BASIC.
- To return to SuperBASIC, type "basic <enter>" from DOS.
- To auto-boot into DOS instead of BASIC, install DOS in flash slot 1, and BASIC in slots 2,3,4.